Oracle Database Memory Serialization Control (latches & mutexes) teaches Oracle DBAs the ends and outs about Oracle memory structure control. Oracle effectively creates the illusion of simultaneous memory structure manipulation. And it's our job to ensure this illusion remains a mystery to our users.
To help you keep this illusion real, in this seminar I will lead you into the mysterious world of Oracle memory structure serialization control by exploring latches and mutexes: what they are, how they work, how we monitor their performance, how we tell if there is a significant problem and how we systematically diagnose the situation.
I think you will soon understand why I think Oracle serialization control rocks!
For details go to http://www.orapub.com/video-seminar-serialization-control
PART ONE of this seminar focuses on why latches and mutexes are so important to Oracle's operations and how Oracle uses latches and mutexes in its kernel code. I also dig into how Oracle's time model relates to latching. This enables you to properly diagnosis and communicate to others why or why not latches/mutexes are a significant performance issue. Finally, I get into how Oracle increases concurrency by effectively using multiple latches of the same type to increase memory structure concurrency. It's fascinating and very important for DBAs who want to pursue a career focused on Oracle performance tuning.
PART TWO begins by focusing on advanced latch spin control and detailing three ways to identify the problem latch. Then I'll begin digging deep into mutexes, including why they are important, why Oracle began using them and the acquisition algorithm. I'll even get into advanced mutex control using Oracle instance parameters. We will observe Oracle using mutexes by operating system tracing Oracle processes. It's pretty cool and key for any DBA who wants to become a performance expert.
What You Will Learn In Part 1 & 2
- Why Oracle processes must ensure serial access control to Oracle memory structures
- What are Oracle latches and mutexes
- How Oracle latches are different from mutexes
- The latch and mutex acquisition algorithms
- How L&M activity relates to Oracle's time model
- How to monitor for real L&M problems using Oracle's time model and an AWR report
- Steps to methodically approach diagnosing and coming up with performance solutions
- The differences between latches and mutexes
- How Oracle implement mutexes in its library cache
- How to use advanced latch spin control
- What options DBAs have to influence mutex behavior
L&M = Latches And Mutexes
Part 1: 060 Oracle Serialization Control - Part 1
1. Why the simultaneous memory structure illusion must exist and why it works so well
2 Oracle processes, L&M and memory structures, the general L&M acquisition algorithm
3 L&M time accounting and how this relates to the Oracle time model and the AWR report
4. Oracle latch specifics: concurrency limitations, child latches, multiple latches and how latches "back off."
Part 2: 062 Oracle Serializatoin Control - Part 2
1. Using latch specific spin count control to your advantage and three ways to identify the problem latch
2. Why mutexes are advantageous to increase concurrency
3. Detailing the Oracle mutex algorithm
4. Advanced mutex control and observering Oracle mutex usage in detail
For more information to go www.orapub.com
CDA Tech provides training and job placement assistance across a variety of careers. Contact us today to learn about the CDA Advantage.
Looking for a new career? Youve come to the right place.
Air Mixed Gas Commercial Diver Maritime Welding EMT DMT Our Programs.
*Underwater Welding Training at CDA Tech.
ROOM AND BOARD FOR MILITARY VETS.
CDA is proud to honor our vets. Thats why well waive both your registration fee and room and board when you attend CDA Technical Institute.*
*Restrictions apply, call for details.
After a successful career in the Army as an Army Ranger and Special Forces Combat Diver, CDA Technical Institute not only gave me a second-to-none education but they gave me the tools to be a successful, internationally-certified commercial diver! With CDAs education, the right attitude and the right work ethic you will be successful in this field!
Byron Beplay, AMGCD Program.
CDA Tech goes way past anyone’s expectations of a trade school. From the very first day this staff will be with you step-for-step making sure you feel exactly like family and helping you to succeed. I loved this school and everyone here. So take it from me: Come join the CDA Tech commercial diving family and be a part of this awesome industry!
Trey Lancaster, AMGCD Program.
I went to a trade school and got my welding certification and that was not enough. I found CDA technical Institute online and decided to become a Commercial Diver because of my love for the water. I had the best time going through CDA Technical Institute and I would definitely recommend this school to anyone looking for a career in Commercial Diving.
Brett Lamb, AMGCD Program.